Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Flax Seed

I have found something amazing that I am so excited to share with you all. I found a recipe on the Internet using flax seed as a substitute for eggs. This is exciting for a couple reasons:

1st: Flax seed is easily stored, good for our 3 month storage and possibly long term as well.

2nd: Flax seed is very good for you. It is loaded with omega -3 fatty acids which can help lower cholesterol. The health benefits listed for these little seeds are long including helping control blood sugar, protection against certain types of cancer including breast and prostate, it contains a complete protein source, and is high in fiber for your digestive system.

3rd: Flax has a nutty delicious taste : )

As far as storing flax seed goes, the information that I found was sketchy. I do know that storing the seed whole rather than ground is best. One source said that the seed would last for 2 years in a cool dry place. Other sources said refrigerated is best. I will continue to research this and let you know. In the mean time, I will store mine in the freezer. I also read that to get the nutritional benefits from the flax seed, it must be ground, otherwise, it just passes through whole.


Where to find: Winco sells it in the bulk food section. I know you can get it at the Co-Op as well. I have not yet checked prices.


I have done a little experimenting this week to try out the egg substitute flax. I first tried it in my blender pancakes and it worked great. Next we tried it in our sourdough pancakes and they were a little gooey. I think I might try using the flax for half the eggs next time. And then yesterday I used it for 2 of the 3 eggs in zucchini bread, which I also substituted applesauce for half the oil. Everyone loved the bread.


There are a couple options in making the flax seeds turn into an eggy substance. What I did was to put the flax seed along with the water in my blender and blend it up. Then I cooked it either on the stove or in the microwave for about a minute. Then let it cool a bit before adding it to my recipe. It gels up as it cools. Supposedly you can add the whole seeds to boiling water and then simmer for 20 minutes and it will release the eggy substance. Then you can strain out the seeds. But, in doing this you would lose the great fiber source and some of the nutrition as well, I believe.


If you like this recipe for the egg substitute and find recipes to use it in that you like (or don't like), please leave a comment.


Ingredients
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
2-3 tablespoons water
Directions
1Simmer flax seeds and water in a saucepan for about 5 minutes (or less or more time depending on the amount you are making) or until thick, egg-like consistency has been reached.
2Let cool before using in a recipe.
3This recipe makes 1 eggs worth, but it can be easily made into a larger quantity using the 1:3 ratio- for example, 1 cup ground flax seeds and 3 cups water (that would make 16 eggs worth) and will keep in the fridge for about 2 weeks.
4Use about 1/4 cup (which is equal to 4Tbs) egg substitute for every egg




Sources:




No comments: