Sunday, July 27, 2008

Wheat

7/31/08
I found something new to do with my cooked wheat berries that shows some promise. I took the cooked wheat berries and then toasted them in butter in a frying pan. They popped like popcorn. Wesley thought it was a lot of fun. Wesley, Mr. Picky Eater, actually tried them and said they were pretty good, like a mixture of popcorn kernels and burnt popcorn. Ha! Burnt popcorn is a good thing for him I guess. I think they are pretty good too, an interesting crunchy little snack. They would be good as something crunchy on a salad. I then tried to coat them in curry before I cooked them and found that they didn't pop and just got super hard. I then popped a few more and added curry after. This worked out well. I am wondering what other flavor might be good, Tabasco? Maybe soak them in some kind of salad dressing....
Stay tuned.



7/30/08
Here is a recipe that I found that sounds interesting. I have eaten the wheat that I cooked Monday a couple of times. I still have a bit left and am looking for a way to use it. It doesn't really keep me feeling satisfied until lunch. I like the way it tastes, but I can't eat much of it.

Here is the link to Creamy Wheat Berry Hot Cereal with oats, raisins, etc. I'll let you know if I actually get around to trying it. http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/wheat_berry_porridge.html


I am not really cooking much this week with Marty and Tyler being at the high adventure or I would try to sneak the wheatberries into some enchiladas or soup or something.

7/27/08
I have been thinking about wheat for some reason the past couple of days. Wheat is something I think more of as the "long term" food storage rather than the 3 month of food your family is used to eating. However, I really like wheat so I think that I will incorporate it into my 3 month plan. I am fortunate to have a wheat grinder, so making flour for bread is possible for me. There are other ways to use wheat that I really like. The one that I think I will try this week is to cook wheat whole (wheat berries) for breakfast with honey and milk. They can also be added to other recipes. I'll let you know what I use them in this week and how it works out.

Please let me know if you have a way you like to use cooked wheat berries.

What I am going to try is to pour boiling water over the wheat in my crockpot and then cook on low overnight. This should work.

Here is another recipe that I use often that uses wheat, but no wheat grinder. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKl2QyHFzy0

Blender Pancakes
1 1/2 cup water
1/4 cup powdered milk (or just 1 1/2 cup milk)
1 1/4 cup wheat
Blend for 3 minutes

Add:
2 eggs
2 Tbls oil
1 Tbls sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Blend 2o seconds

Add:
1 Tbls baking powder
Pulse 3 times

2 comments:

Busy Lady said...

Okay, this blogspot is awesome!! What a tremendous amount of work! We need a provident living person like you in our ward. Remember the house next door is for sale. Seriously though, thanks for including me in this, it is so helpful and I will use all of the advise to get my family prepared.

Rachel Quatrone said...

Blender Pancakes rock! For a twist on the recipe - try adding a tablespoon of Cinnamon to the recipe.