Sunday, November 30, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas at the Mall

Thanksgiving is over and Christmas merchandising is in full swing. I tend to get a little overwhelmed this time of year. This year is shaping up to be the same as usual. So, I am going to share with you some of the things that I am going to try to see if I can't keep my sanity and keep my bank account intact.

The first I will be sharing with you Tuesday night at enrichment night. It is a spiritual advent calendar. I will post it here, for those not in our ward on Wednesday. It will hopefully help me to find more spiritual strength to find peace in the chaos.

Next, here are some tips I found in an article by Martin Lindstrom in today's paper -- "Buyer Beware. What to know before you shop".

1.Leave the kids at home. Studies have shown consumers to buy 40% more items when accompanied by their kids. I know this is not always possible. But, be aware if you are shopping with the kids.

2. Watch out for fake bargains. "$2.50" or "2 for $5" (same price, but at 2 for $5, they sell more). Limit 8 per customer (must be a good deal, huh?). Also, watch what you pay at the register. Make sure you are getting the great deal you think you are. If you are not good at mailing in rebates, don't count on that additional discount.

3. Avoid BIG carts. If you are going to WalMart for a couple items, get the basket, otherwise you will be tempted to fill the cart. Reach has shown that people buy 30% more items when they shop with a big cart. Make a list and stick to it.

4. Don't Sniff. Or don't shop on an empty stomach. This is self explanatory.

5. Beware of Shopaholism. Beware of the credit cards especially this time of year. There are super deals to be found, but are they what we need or even want. Shopping and getting that great deal can bring a rush for those of us addicted to shopping. Before you buy, think about what really brings happiness. The average American household has an average of $10,000 in credit card debt. This debt can take years to dig yourself out from. Not such a happy event.

No comments: